domingo, 16 de junio de 2013

The fight against negativity

I have always been known to be quite a negative person. It's who I am, as much as hate to admit it.
The victimist side of me wants to blame this side of my character on the troubles I had growing up, the low self-esteem, the physical problems and a lack of thick skin as to ignore bullies.
Then I think, why am I doing this to myself? It's as if I'm condemning the rest of my life that's yet to come on past experiences that have ironically turned me into the bully of my own future.
I read dyspraxic people had a tendency to be a little on the low-self esteem side, and to not be able to put aside the bad things and therefore be able to focus on the good things in life. I'd like to think its this that causes all my negativity.
It's funny though, I can often identify the problem, but when it comes to bringing its solution to life I'm absolutely useless. I constantly tell myself to quit being so negative, as truth be told I have no reason to continue like it. Sure I have bad days, we all do; but what I can't allow myself  do is to let the sadness of not accomplishing all the things I wish to create a massive shadow over the happiness I could be experiencing over what I actually have achieved. We take so many things for granted, and we dont realize what true potential each and everyone of us have.
And this is when a phrase by my theatre group teacher comes to mind: 

                             Celebrate everything you do. 

Following this we were all asked to put our hands up in the air to celebrate our victory, and walk around the room as if we had just won the Noble Prize. The key was to celebrate even the most simplest of things we had done that day. They may not mean a single thing to the person standing next to you, but for you, celebrating a bunch of minimalist things that you take for granted each day can truly change your day around.
So you managed to walk from the kitchen to the lounge without spilling your coffee? Hands up high! (of course, put down the coffee first ;) )
You managed to get up a couple of minutes earlier, just to have more time to wake yourself up? Let's celebrate!
You managed a day without smoking. Well done! Keep up whatever your doing.

It's truly amazing how all the little things can put a smile on your face. Let's celebrate what we achieve, WE DID IT! I was never too sure about the whole "be positive and good things will happen", I'm more of a believer of smiling even when things go wrong. Smiling at errors in the face just to prove it's going to take much more than a silly little mistake to get you down. Mistakes dont necessarily have to come with negative connotations. It's a lesson learned, even if we have to take the same lesson over and over again. What's important is that we're on the right path. We only fail when we stop trying. Strengh doesnt have to refer to strong and brave people, it can also refer to those who, despite all the failed attempts, they still have it in them to get back on their feet again and keep on trying. Now that, is what I call true strengh. 
Mistakes are basically our life's entertainement. Without them we'd live in such a bore, in such a clueless monotony. 
Life just wouldn't be life as we know it. Mistakes are what we learn from, mistakes are a part of our wonderful and unique selves. It's them that turn the tabula rasa that we were before them into the beautiful painting we are today.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario